To expand and improve youth friendly SRH services in selected public health facilities by providing material and technical support.
Geographical target: Kampala, Wakiso
This project focuses on scaling up ASRH service provision in the country. The term ‘scaling up’ covers aspects of ‘more’ and ‘better’.
In the core of the strategic plan, NTIHC provides a substantial package of support to 7 public health facilities in and around Kampala. These facilities are: China Uganda Friendship Hospital, Kawaala, Kisenyi, Kisugu, Kitebi, Komamboga in Kampala and Kira HC in Wakiso district.
This component of the plan serves two purposes:
- It is important in terms of helping the public health authorities to meet the needs of thousands of clients in areas of Kampala and Wakiso. This is a valid objective in its own right but its achievement also helps to reduce the risk of the NTIHC facility being swamped by excessive demand, i.e. surrounding facilities need to be strengthened and their services scaled up to mitigate the risk of that too many young people will migrate to the Kiswa facility rather than getting services in their local area.
- Second, this component is also important to enable NTIHC to develop and test lessons being learnt at the Kiswa facility, and lessons about the most effective ways of partnering with public facilities to achieve scale up of ASRH services.
Also in the core of the strategic plan, NTIHC provides on-going mentoring and technical support to the 24 facilities in the districts of Wakiso, Luwero, Nakaseke, Mukono, Kayunga, Mpigi, Butambala and Gomba.
The main activities for objective 2 are:
- ‘Service delivery package’ of support to 7 facilities
- Allowances to service providers and peer educators (in recognition of the additional roles required of them and the additional activities involved, e.g. outreaches specifically aimed at reaching young people)
- Material support, including: IEC materials; drugs and supplies; infrastructure support (e.g. drug storage equipment, audio visual equipment).
- Capacity building where we train both health workers and peer educators on ADH and YFS.
- Dialogue meetings with community leaders
- Advocacy meetings with district leaders and civil society organizations.
- Review meetings with supported facilities.
- Monitoring visits to supported facilities
Service Delivery & Capacity Building Packages
For more information about both ongoing and completed projects carried out by NTIHC
Strategic Plans & Reports
Capacity building package’ of support to 24 facilities.
- Capacity building, including training of service providers and peer educators on ADH and YFS.
- Technical support supervision where we mentor and support service providers in YFS provision
- Material support where we support facilities with IEC materials
- Monitoring visits to facilities.
- Facilitate peer educators to work at the facilities on daily basis
- Facilitate school Outreaches in all supported facilities.
- Review meetings with facilities and district leadership
Service delivery package facilities; supports (Kampala & one in Wakiso)
- Kisenyi Health Centre IV
- Kawaala Health Centre III
- China Uganda Friendship Hospital
- Komamboga Health Centre III
- Kisugu Health Centre III
- Kitebi Health Centre III
- Kira Health Centre III
Capacity building package facilities; supports (Wakiso, Mpigi, Butambala, Gomba, Luwero, Nakaseke, Mukono and Kayunga)
- Kanoni Health Centre III
- Bulwadda Health Centre II
- Mpenja Health Centre III
- Gombe Hospital
- Kitimba Health Centre III
- Bulo Health Centre III
- Mpigi Health Centre IV
- Mudduma Health Centre III
- Buwama Health Centre III
- Nsangi Health Centre III
- Namayumba Health Centre IV
- Kasanje Health Centre III
- Semuto Health Centre IV
- Kikamulo Health Centre III
- Biddabugya Health Centre III
- Zirobwe Health Centre III
- Butuntumula Health Centre III
- Nyimbwa Health Centre IV
- Kojja Health Centre IV
- Nagojje Health Centre III
- Kasawo Health centre III
- Kyabalogo Health Centre II
- Kangulumira Health Centre IV
- Ntenjeru Health Centre III